Skip to Main Content

See our latest COVID-19 updates.

Academic Affairs

Student Complaints, Grievances and Appeals

Columbus State University (CSU) takes student needs and concerns very seriously. To that end, the University has developed a process through which individuals can submit complaints and appeals. The following information will direct you to the appropriate process to submit a specific type of complaint/grievance or appeal. If you have additional question or need more help please feel free to contact Dr. Alicia Bryan (, 706-507-8965).

You have a grievance if you feel that you have been treated unfairly by a representative of the University or that the regular policies of the University were not followed or were applied unfairly against you. This includes if you feel the grade you received was unfair or inconsistent with your performance and/or the criteria outlined in the course syllabus. You can not challenge a policy itself but you can challenge the application of a policy that you feel is unfair. Grievances and complaints can either be academic or non-academic in nature.

  • Academic grievances are usually related to the regular progression of a student in an academic program. They can relate to the actions of a particular faculty member or a department or program. File an academic grievance.
  • Non-academic grievances typically relate to topics that do not relate to the student’s individual performance in a course but provide a means of communicating a need or concern to faculty, staff, and/or administrators.
    • These complaints include special complaints such as Title IX, ADA, FERPA, and sexual harassment complaints.
      Learn more about non-academic grievances.
    • They can also relate to your treatment by or concerns about employees or units with the CSU community.
      File a student complaint.
    • If you are uncertain about the type of grievance you have or to file a general complaint you can view our Non-Academic and General Complaints page for more information and someone will contact you and help direct you to the proper channels for reporting it.

If you feel you have exhausted all the available, on-campus options you have the following options:

  1. If you are a student living in Georgia, and have exhaustedallavailableavenues at the University, you may file a complaint with the University System of Georgia.
  2. If you are a student not living in Georgia and have exhausted all available avenues at the University please visit the following page for options. Out-of-State Student Complaints
  3. If you are not satisfied with the resolution provided by the University and the State, you may file a complaint with the University’s accreditation agency. Accrediting agencies will only review issues addressing significant non-compliance with agency standards, policies, or procedures. This should be pursued only after all other avenues have been exhausted.

Appeals are typically requests to set aside specific University or University System policies based on extenuating circumstances. As with grievances, appeals can either be academic or non-academic.